Saturday, November 28, 2009

Exercise Again

I attended the 8:30 AM Spin class this morning and I'm telling you it was harder to get up and go to this class than it was to go to the 6:00 AM class yesterday. But again the bottom line is - I did it - I went.

Have you exercised today yet? If not, then you have many more hours to do so.

Well my body is telling me it's tired, so tomorrow I'm not going to a class or working out with a trainer, but I will make sure I'm moving like walking more than being still.

Exercise Notes For the Day
This is from an article about Valerie Bertinelli (you know the 49 year old who posed in a bikini recently) in the November 2009 issue of Ladies Home Journal

"Her trainer had her walking up to 20,000 steps a day and she monitored every morsel on her way to a remarkable 123 pounds."

20,000 steps per day? Heck I'm trying to get to and be consistent with walking 10,000 steps per day.

The following about 10,000 steps a day is from this site: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

10,000 STEPS A DAY
"10,000 steps a day - pedometer walking program, walking routine, beginning walking, beginner walker"
How many steps do you walk each day?

Maybe you have heard the recent guidelines about walking 10,000 steps per day. How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.

A sedentary person may only average 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. For these people adding steps has many health benefits. I have outlined the basic 10,000 steps program, but also added a commentary below.

A reasonable goal for most people is to increase average daily steps each week by 500 per day until you can easily average 10,000 per day. Example: If you currently average 3000 steps each day, your goal for week one is 3500 each day. Your week 2 goal is 4000 each day. Continue to increase each week and you should be averaging 10,000 steps by the end of 14 weeks.

1 comment:

Maxmom said...

Susan, I'm proud of you getting back on the wagon. I'm having a hard time getting motivated in this cold. Brrrrrrh! I haven't made any NY resolutions in years, but my intention regarding my body is to make the 'good-for-me' choice more often than not. That means a consistent work-out schedule, careful food selections, adequate rest and meditation. That's a winning combination for me and when I'm operating on all those cylinders, I just feel good. And that's what it's all about, feeling strong and healthy. Here's to a year of good health!